This is the best bbq beans recipe ever! It matches a few fresh and simple ingredients with navy beans for a hearty and healthy meal. And clean-up is a snap!
Best BBQ Beans
- ⅔ cup dried navy beans
- 2 cups water
- 3 oz salt pork, chopped with rind removed
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (2 tbsp)
- 2 cloves garlic minced (1 tbsp)
- 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 1 cup sweet and spicy barbecue sauce
- Cover beans with 2 cups of water and allow to soak for 6 - 12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Saute salt pork and onions in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until onions are tender (5-7 minutes). Add peppers and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add bouillon and beans to the saucepan. Turn heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender, checking occasionally to ensure there is enough water to keep beans from scorching. Add more bouillon, if necessary.
- Add barbecue sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Hack: Freeze leftover portions sealed in serving-sized portions for future use. Allow to thaw completely in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Hack: One cup of frozen onions can be substituted for fresh onion in this recipe. Dehydrated onions and/or garlic can also be used.
- Hack: One 15 oz. can of navy beans, drained and rinsed can be substituted for the dried beans in this recipe.
- Hack: Feel free to use your favorite white bean in this recipe or whatever you have on hand!
- Hack: Mix things up by adding your favorite veggies such as bell peppers or carrots.
Did you know? Navy beans are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and they’re packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Serve with jalapeno cheddar cheese cornbread, if desired.
Please follow and like us: