Vegetarian split pea soup Is a delicious and comforting food that has it all: It’s healthy, low in fat and calories, vegan and is super easy to make!
Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- ½ cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dry yellow or green split peas
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp raisins
- Stovetop: Place all ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 60 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Slow cooker: Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 8 hours or low for 12 hours.
- Instant Pot: Place all ingredients in the instant pot. Lock lid and set the machine to cook at high heat for 12 minutes.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Hack: Freeze leftovers in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months.
- Hack: Dehydrated vegetables can be used in this recipe!
- Hack: Check the produce department for loose carrots, onions and/or celery stalks. If you don’t see them, ask a clerk if they’re available.
- Hack: Shop the salad bar if you just need a small amount of an item that you don’t think you’ll use again before it “goes over”.
Did you know? Peas are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Top this soup with easy homemade croutons!