Cheddar cheese jalapeno cornbread is a slightly sweet quick bread with a hint of spice. I love to serve it with baked beans!
Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper. minced
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Coat a 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, maple syrup, butter and eggs. Add to flour mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Add shredded cheese and jalapeno to the cornbread mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting.
- Hack: For a smoother, less granular texture, mix cornmeal and milk. Cover and allow to soak in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Hack: Store cornbread tightly covered at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze individually wrapped slices for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Jalapeno peppers contain capsaicin which has many health benefits!
Suggestion: This cornbread pairs nicely with homemade barbeque beans. Use leftover cornbread to make featherbed eggs.
Please follow and like us: