Creamy beef and shells is a hearty combination of beef, tomatoes and pasta shells that cooks up in one skillet and is guaranteed to hit the spot!
Creamy Beef and Shells
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ lb chuck beef, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1¼ cups water, divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¾ tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pasta shells
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Dry stew beef on paper towels and add to hot oil. Brown on all sides and remove from pan.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Push onion to the sides of the pan to make a well. Add garlic to well and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beef back to the pan, add 1 cup water and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 2½ hours.
- While beef is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook shells according to package directions.
- Add red wine to pan and stir to deglaze. Remove beef and juices from pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add peppers and tomatoes. Saute until peppers are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, use your fingers or a fork to pull the beef apart into small pieces.
- Add Italian seasoning and tomato paste to the peppers and mix well. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer.
- Mix ¼ cup water with cornstarch in a small bowl or glass. Add to the pepper mixture and bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer until the broth thickens.
- Add beef, cream and shells to the pan. Heat through and serve immediately.
- Hack: Pasta can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Hack: Dehydrated vegetables can be used in this recipe.
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Serve this dish with some Italian herb focaccia bread!