Sometimes referred to as apple crumble, this easy old fashioned apple crisp is a classic dessert that’s always a crowd-pleaser! Try it with caramel sauce!
Easy Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Grease a 2-cup, oven-safe dish and put the apples in it. Sprinkle apples with vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, rolled oats, flour and cinnamon. Top the apples with this mixture.
- Bake until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes*. Place under the broiler for a few moments if additional browning of the top is desired.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce if desired.
- *It’s fine to use whatever type of apple you have on-hand but different apples have different textures and therefore require slightly different cooking times.
- Hack: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Hack: Make some extra streusel topping to keep in the refrigerator to make a quick apple crisp whenever you want one!
- Hack: Level up your crisp by adding raisins or dried cranberries to the apple mixture. Or add some chopped nuts to the topping!
While many assume that cooking fruits destroy nutrition, there are many health benefits to eating baked apples!
Suggestion: Leftover apples? Make some applesauce!