This French dip casserole is a beefy, cheesy, creamy pasta and mushroom dish that warms the soul. It’s sure to be a hit with the whole family!
French Dip Casserole
- 2 olive oil
- ½ lb stew beef
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- ½ ib angel hair pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- Heavy olive oil in a large heavy skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Dry stew beef on paper towels and add to hot oil. Brown on all sides and remove from pan.
- Add onion and mushroom to the pan. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Push ingredients to the sides of the pan to make a well in the center. Add garlic to well and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beef back to the pan, as well as water and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to simmer, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 2½ hours.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in 1 cup cream, pepper, and horseradish.
- Heat 4 quarts of water to boiling. Add angel hair and cook for 4 minutes or until “al dente”. Drain well but don’t rinse.
- Toss pasta with beef mixture and pour into an 8-cup covered casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour and bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining cream and bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add cheeses, stirring until they are melted.
- Spread cheese sauce over the top of the beef and pasta mixture. Cover and bake in a preheated 350℉ oven for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 10 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160℉.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Hack: One 4 oz can of mushrooms can replace the fresh mushrooms in this recipe.
- Hack: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Alternately, seal serving-sized portions in freezer-safe containers and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Pair this dish with Italian herb focaccia bread!
Please follow and like us: