This healthy black bean dip is a hearty, vegetarian dish that’s both flavorful and tasty. Serve it with chips or tortillas as an appetizer, snack or light meal!
Healthy Black Bean Dip
- ⅔ cup dried black beans
- 4 cups water, divided
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- Cover beans with 2 cups of water and allow to soak for 6 - 12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Put 2 cups of water and beans to a saucepan. Turn heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender, checking occasionally to ensure there is enough water to keep beans from scorching. Drain excess water, if necessary.
- (NOTE: The above step can be done ahead. Store beans tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
- Heat the oven to 475℉ degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute for 5 -10 minutes until translucent but not browned. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, red pepper flakes and cumin. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the beans, boiling water and generous pinches of salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Transfer to an oven-safe dish and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake until the cheese has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. If the top is not as browned as you’d like, run the dip under the broiler for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with corn chips, crusty bread, pita or rice.
- Hack: One cup of frozen onions can be substituted for fresh onion in this recipe.
- Hack: One 15 oz can of black beans can be substituted for the dried beans.
- Hack: Store leftover dip in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Hack: Freeze leftover portions sealed in serving-sized portions for up to 6 months. Allow to thaw completely in the refrigerator before reheating.
Did you know? Black beans are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and they’re packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Serve this dip with some authentic Indian flatbread naan!
Please follow and like us: