This orange and beet salad is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. The citrusy orange flavor and the earthy sweetness of beet make a perfect taste combination!
Orange and Beet Salad
- 1 red beet
- 3 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained with liquid reserved*
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp feta cheese
- ⅓ cup orange vinaigrette dressing*
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Cut greens off the beet, leaving 1” of the stem. Wash thoroughly, brush with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Roast until tender, 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Peel the beet and cut it into cubes.
- Divide lettuce equally into 3 salad bowls.
- Top the lettuce with equal amounts of beet, orange sections, onion, pecans and feta.
- Toss each salad with 2 tbsp dressing.
- Serving immediately.
- Hack: Feel free to substitute any salad greens you have on hand or use fresh baby spinach.
- Hack: Only assemble the salad(s) you intend to eat immediately. The rest of the ingredients can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and assembled when ready to eat.
- Hack: To keep lettuce romaine lettuce fresh longer, separate leave and wash. Dry in a salad spinner or with paper towels. Place lettuce leaves in a sealable plastic bag or container with paper towels between each layer to absorb moisture. Replace paper towels if they become soggy.
- Hack: Shop the salad bar if you just need a small amount of an item that you don’t think you’ll use again before it “goes over”.
Did you know? Colorful foods add up to a healthy diet! Check out the benefits of beets here!
Suggestion: If you love the combination of beets and oranges, try warm mandarin glazed beets!