This simple and delicious perfect poached chicken breast is ready in less than 15 minutes and is great for use in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken!
Perfect Poached Chicken Breast
- 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (¾ lb total)
- 4 cups water (or enough to cover)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (½ tsp dried)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- 2 slices fresh onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place chicken breast(s) in a saucepan and cover with water. Add rosemary, salt, pepper, bay leaf, garlic, onion and lemon juice.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and put it on the stovetop over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160℉, about 6-10 minutes, depending on the size of the breast(s).
- Remove chicken from water and allow it to cool.* Cut it into thin slices.
- Yield: 2.25 cups shredded or diced chicken
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 months.
- Hack: Although I have listed particular spices in this recipe, you may adjust this according to your individual taste.
Handle chicken with care! Click here for some tips to avoid foodborne illnesses that can be associated with raw poultry.
Suggestion: This recipe works well for any recipe that uses cooked chicken such as Fresh Mexican Avocado Salad, Easy Homemade Ramen Noodles or Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad.
Please follow and like us: