Spicy red beans and rice puts a delicious spin on a classic meal eaten the world over. Using a rice cooker and a slow cooker makes preparing them a snap!
Slow cooker Spicy Red Beans and Rice
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 2 cups water
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, hot
- Cover beans with 2 cups of water and allow to soak for 6 - 12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- (NOTE: The above step can be done ahead. Drain beans and store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
- Put beans and broth into a saucepan on the stovetop and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Transfer beans and broth to a slow cooker.
- Add peppers, tomato and spices to the crockpot.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and discard it.
- Serve with brown rice.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely in the refrigerator before reheating.
Did you know? Red beans are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and they’re packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Use this vegan spicy brown rice to pair with the red beans!