Sweet potato apple butter casserole combines the delightful tastes of fall in a hearty dish that’s easy to assemble and cook. It’s delicious any time of year!
Sweet Potato Apple Butter Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup old fashioned apple butter
- ¼ cup butter, melted (½ stick)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup pecans
- ½ cup dates
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425℉ Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay whole sweet potatoes in a single layer. Pierce each potato several times with a fork.
- Bake potatoes for 40-60 minutes (depending on size) until they are puffed and fork-tender. Remove from oven. Allow to cool slightly and then remove potatoes from their skins.
- Turn oven back to 350℉. Coat 1½ quart casserole (or 8” square pan) with cooking spray.
- Place apple butter, ¼ cup of melted butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Combine with an electric mixer or whisk. Add potatoes and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Spread into the casserole.
- Roughly chop pecans and dates. Mix in 2 tbsp melted butter and almond flour. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and hot with an internal temperature of 160℉.
- Hack: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or packaged in serving-sized portions and frozen for up to 12 months.
- Hack: The sweet potato portion of this dish can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Sprinkle topping on before baking and allow a few extra minutes of baking time for the cold dish to come up to temp.
Did you know? Sweet potatoes have a surprising number of health benefits including maintaining blood pressure and insulin levels!
Suggestion: Use leftover apple butter to make apple butter muffins or pork chops with apple butter and onions.
Please follow and like us:
4 Replies to “Sweet Potato Apple Butter Casserole”
Hey thanks for this post! I’m actually glad I came across this as I was looking for something to bake!
I have a big sweet tooth so for that reason I’m literally baking or cooking up something sweet daily! I have all of these ingredients except apple butter so it shouldn’t be too hard to get started!
This will certainly satisfy your sweet tooth…in a healthy way! Enjoy!
What a delicious recipe for a casserole that you can freeze and use anytime. I would never have thought to put sweet potatoes and apples together. When you say Apple Butter, is this a type of apple in your country? I’ve never heard of an apple called this, or is it a butter made from apples?
A very easy recipe and I like the added pecan nuts and dates.
Apple butter is made by simmering apples, much in the same way that you would make applesauce. The difference is that apple butter is more heavily seasoned and sweetened. It’s also cooked for a longer period of time which allows it to caramelize, Get the recipe here!