What to do with leftover cornbread? How about a “corny” twist on savory bread pudding? Featherbed eggs are the answer to a simple meal any time of the day!
- ½ cup jalapeno cheddar cheese cornbread, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp green onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Coat an 8 oz ramekin or oven proof-dish with cooking spray. Crumble cornbread into the bottom.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and milk until well incorporated. Stir in green onion, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over cornbread and bake until the eggs become puffy and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen, tightly wrapped for up to 2 months.
- Hack: Chop leftover green onions and freeze them in a sealable freezer bag or container for future use. While they won’t retain the crispness that would make them suitable for salads or garnish, they will be fine for cooking.
Did you know? Despite the negative press that eggs have received in the past, they can absolutely be a part of a healthy diet!
Suggestion: Pair this casserole with barbecue beans for a hearty and healthy breakfast!