These delicious homemade butter biscuits can go two ways…a traditional biscuit or an herb biscuit. The butter creates steam pockets for a light flaky texture.
Homemade Butter Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter, grated (1 stick or ¼ lb)
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp chives
- ½ tsp thyme
- Heat oven to 450͒ F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and herbs (if desired). Mix in butter, then add milk. Stir to combine.
- Turn out onto floured surface or silicone pastry mat and kneed a few times to fully incorporate ingredients. Add small amounts of flour or drops of milk as necessary so the dough will hold together but not be sticky.
- Pat dough to ⅔” thickness. Cut with a 2” biscuit cutter or drinking glass.
- Place biscuits on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Hack: Biscuits can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Hack: Place leftover biscuits on cookie sheet and place in freezer until fully frozen. Place in a sealable freezer bag and store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Baking powder was invented in 1856, revolutionizing baking. According to the Smithsonian Magazine, cooking without it was definitely NOT a piece of cake!
Suggestion: Use this butter biscuit dough to make mini chicken pot pies!