No frills here…just the best classic meatloaf recipe out there! Serve it as a main course at dinner and then use the leftovers for sandwiches!
Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (beef, pork and lamb)*
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs**
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl add meatloaf mix, bread crumbs, 2 tbsp brown sugar, onion, milk, egg, ¼ cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Combine well and press into loaf pan.
- Mix ingredients for topping and spread over meatloaf mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 55 - 60 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or removing from pan.
- * Many supermarkets and butcher shops sell a meatloaf mix of beef/pork/lamb or beef/pork. Ground pork and/or lamb can be reduced or eliminated by increasing ground beef. Ground chicken or turkey can also be used.
- ** Rolled oats or almond flour can be used in place of flour for a gluten-free option.
- Hack: This meatloaf can be made and stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 48 hours before cooking. Cooked leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Hack: Slice leftover meatloaf and place in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When frozen, stack pieces in a freezer bag or container, separating slices with parchment paper. Store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Hack: Frozen or dehydrated onions can be used in this recipe!
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Serve this with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes