Sweet potato apple butter casserole combines the delightful tastes of fall in a hearty dish that’s easy to assemble and cook. It’s delicious any time of year!
Sweet Potato Apple Butter Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup old fashioned apple butter
- ¼ cup butter, melted (½ stick)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup pecans
- ½ cup dates
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425℉ Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay whole sweet potatoes in a single layer. Pierce each potato several times with a fork.
- Bake potatoes for 40-60 minutes (depending on size) until they are puffed and fork-tender. Remove from oven. Allow to cool slightly and then remove potatoes from their skins.
- Turn oven back to 350℉. Coat 1½ quart casserole (or 8” square pan) with cooking spray.
- Place apple butter, ¼ cup of melted butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Combine with an electric mixer or whisk. Add potatoes and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Spread into the casserole.
- Roughly chop pecans and dates. Mix in 2 tbsp melted butter and almond flour. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and hot with an internal temperature of 160℉.
- Hack: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or packaged in serving-sized portions and frozen for up to 12 months.
- Hack: The sweet potato portion of this dish can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Sprinkle topping on before baking and allow a few extra minutes of baking time for the cold dish to come up to temp.
Did you know? Sweet potatoes have a surprising number of health benefits including maintaining blood pressure and insulin levels!
Suggestion: Use leftover apple butter to make apple butter muffins or pork chops with apple butter and onions.