This easy-peasy slow cooker barbecue pork and beans recipe is made with pork chops, bacon and a sweet and spicy homemade barbecue sauce.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Pork and Beans
- ⅔ cup dried great northern beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (2 tbsp)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tbsp)
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 pork chops (8 oz total)
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- ⅓ cup sweet and spicy barbecue sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Cover beans with 2 cups of water and allow to soak for 6 – 12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Place beans in a slow cooker. Cover them with the chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic and bacon pieces.
- Lay the porks chops in the slow cooker in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, mix the bouillon, barbecue sauce, ketchup and brown sugar. Pour this mixture over the top of the pork chops.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it on low. Cook on low for 8-12 hours or until beans are tender. This will depend on bean size and individual slow cooker temperature.
- Hack: If you don’t have great northern beans, use navy beans or whatever white beans you have on hand!
- Hack: Frozen or dehydrated onions can be used in this recipe!
- Hack: One can of any kind of white bean can be substituted for the dried beans. It is not necessary to soak the canned beans overnight. Reduce slow cooker time to 3-5 hours or until pork chops are fork tender.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Great northern beans are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and they’re packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Pair this dish with cheddar cheese jalapeno cornbread for a hearty and delicious meal!
Click here to check out my slow cooker recommendations!