This sweet and spicy barbecue sauce is one of my favorite condiments. Making it homemade allows you to adjust spices to make it just the way you want it!
Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 rsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (use more or less to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Yield: 2 ½ cups barbecue sauce.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Although barbecue is typically thought of an American tradition, the roots of barbecue sauce can actually be traced to Africa!
Suggestion: Use this sauce to make barbecue spaghetti squash pizza!