I’ve included a few variations on these, the best homemade scones out there. I would love to know: What’s your favorite scone flavor?
Best Homemade Scones
(Courtesy: Arty Garland)
- 1¾ cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cold butter
- 1 egg
- 4 - 6 tbsp half-and-half
- 1 beaten egg for brushing (optional)
- Coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until the dough resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in egg and just enough half-and-half to allow the dough to hold together.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface or pastry mat and knead lightly 10 times.
- Place dough on an ungreased baking sheet and pat or roll into 2 circles, each ½“ thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each circle into 8 triangles and separate triangles slightly. If desired, brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 - 12 minutes. Remove immediately from the baking pan to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Variations:- Add 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, 4 slices cooked, crumbled bacon and ½ cup minced jalapeno pepper (2-3 peppers) to the dough before kneading.- Mix heaping ¼ cup of peanut butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips into the dough before kneading.- Gently fold in 1 cup of raspberries into the dough while kneading. Top with Nutella after removing it from the oven.- Cut half-and-half to 3 tbsp and mix 5 tbsp (2.5 oz) softened cream cheese. Gently fold in 1½ cups of blueberries while kneading.- Glaze: Mix ¼ cup confectioners sugar and 1½ tbsp half-and-half. Drizzle over scones while still warm.
- Hack: Scones can be stored at room temperature for 3 days or wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.
Did you know? While the scone is most often associated with British Afternoon Tea, they were originally a Scottish treat. They officially came to the tea table around 1840, thanks to Anna, the Duchess of Bedford.
Suggestion: If you love scones, try these lemon barley scones by Lily Rose Kindergarten Cook!