Crispy fried green tomatoes is one of my favs, made more special due to the short window of green tomatoes! I love it when my gardening friends share!
Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup butter (1½ stick)
- Cut tomatoes into ½“ slices and set aside.
- In a small, shallow bowl, mix ¼ cup flour, salt, sugar and pepper.
- In another small shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk.
- In a third bowl, mix the remaining flour and cornstarch.
- Dredge each tomato slice in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture and coat with cornmeal mixture. Lay slices in a single layer on a flat surface and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a heavy skillet over medium until it begins to foam and sizzle around the edges.
- Carefully place tomato slices in the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Do this in batches so as not to crowd the slices in the pan. Add more butter as necessary.
- When cooked, remove slices from the pan to paper towels or rack to drain. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before eating.
Did you know? While green tomatoes have fewer health benefits than their fully ripened counterparts, they still have a great nutritional profile!
Suggestion: Serve with ranch dressing, if desired.