Why order take-out when you can make this crispy ginger beef right at home? This authentic recipe is easy to make and it’s on the table in no time!
Crispy Ginger Beef
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- ½ lb flank steak, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup matchstick carrots (½ carrot)
- ½ cup green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks (½ pepper)
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks (½ pepper)
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Place cornstarch in a bowl and gradually whisk in water until smooth. Whisk in eggs. Add steak strips and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy saute pan over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add ½ beef strips, and separate with a fork. Cook, string frequently, until brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove beef to drain on paper towels, and repeat with remaining beef.
- Drain off all but 1 tbsp of the oil. Saute carrot, peppers, green onion, ginger and garlic until lightly browned but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk together sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Pour over vegetables and bring to boil.
- Stir beef back in and stir just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, if desired.
- Hack: Do you know that you can freeze fresh ginger root? Grating it in its frozen state is easier than grating it fresh and, if you choose organic ginger, you don’t have to peel it! Simply place in a sealed freezer bag or container and pop it in the freezer.
- Hack: Chop leftover green onions and freeze in a sealable freezer bag or container for future use.
- Hack: Once opened, sesame oil can be stored in a cool, dark place (kitchen cupboard away from the stove) for up to six months. It can be stored in the fridge for a year or more.
- Hack: Shop the salad bar if you just need a small amount of an item that you don’t think you’ll use again before it “goes over”.
- Hack: Matchstick carrots can be found in the packaged section of the produce department. Freeze any leftover carrots for use in cooking.
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Pair this dish with easy vegetable rice for a complete and delicious meal!