This homemade bacon jerky is a delicious cousin of the candied bacon we have all come to love. The best part? The flavor combinations are ENDLESS!
Homemade Bacon Jerky
- 1 lb thick sliced bacon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 200℉.
- Lay bacon in a single layer on a wire rack. Place the rack on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with tin foil or parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- Mix brown sugar and hot sauce in a small bowl until it forms a paste.
- Brush each slice of bacon with the glazing mixture. Flip the bacon and brush the other side.
- Cook bacon for 2 hours. Flip the slices and cook for another 1 to 1.5 hours or until the jerky reaches the desired texture.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Hack: Bacon jerky can be made in an air fryer as long as it can be set to 200℉. Rotate and/or flip bacon every hour.
- Hack: While bacon jerky can be cooked at temperatures below 200℉, the resulting product will be lighter in color and not as visually pleasing.
- Hack: This recipe is very versatile. It can be made with honey or maple syrup as well as sriracha or crushed red pepper. Raise or lower the heat by adding more or less (or no) spice. Or mix it up by flavoring your jerky with black pepper, garlic or molasses. Let your creativity flow!
- Hack: Store jerky in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Did you know? The invention of bacon jerky was a delicious accident!
I made this bacon jerky in my Pampered Chef Deluxe Air Fryer!