This basic overnight oats recipe is a do-ahead recipe that will make your mornings stress-free!! Oats are loaded with good-for-you nutrients to start your day. Switch things up by replacing the oats with homemade granola.
Basic Overnight Oats Recipe
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup milk (dairy or unsweetened non-dairy)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp honey or preferred sweetener
- Peanut butter and sliced strawberries
- Chopped apples, pecans and cinnamon (⅛ tsp).
- Mashed banana, sliced strawberries and Nutella
- Pitted cherries and shredded coconut
- Dried cranberries and freshly grated ginger
- Use your imagination. The possibilities are endless!
- Mix the first 6 ingredients (yogurt through sweetener) together until well blended. Add desired stir-ins. Separate into two containers with tightly fitting lids.
- Refrigerate overnight. Stir before serving.
- Hack: Use granola instead of rolled oats!
- Hack: The basic overnight oats recipe can be stored, tightly sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The overnight oats with stir-ins can be stored for up to 3 days.
- Hack: Take advantage of the wide variety of fruits and berries that can be found in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. If the pieces are too large for your liking, simply let a few thaw so you can mash them or puree the desired amount in a blender.
- Hack: Do you know that you can freeze fresh ginger root? Grating it in its frozen state is easier than grating it fresh and, if you choose organic ginger, you don’t have to peel it! Simply place it in a sealed freezer bag or container and pop it in the freezer.
- Hack: If your bananas have reached maximum ripeness, remove peels and place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once solid, place in a sealable freezer bag and store in the freezer for use in recipes that call for mashed or pureed banana.
- Hack: Use any leftover Greek yogurt to make this versatile Dill Greek Yogurt Dip!
Did you know? Oats are a great way to start your day. They’re packed with nutrition that combats heart disease and diabetes while helping control your weight and digestive health. Check out the facts here!