Homemade spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage is, hands down, my favorite dish. Like, ever. I like to make a big batch and freeze some for later!
Spaghetti Sauce with Italian Sausage
- 6 cups chopped tomatoes (4 pounds)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sweet or hot, uncooked
- Put all ingredients, including sausage in a large pot and bring to simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 165͑͒.
- Remove sausage and cut into slices. Remove bay leaves. If desired, the sauce can be processed in batches with a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return sausage to the sauce and serve with your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash.
- Hack: Put serving-sized leftover portions in sealable freezer bags or containers leftovers and freeze for future use.
- Hack: If you have leftover tomatoes and no time to make the sauce, simply puree them in the blender and freeze the fresh puree in sealed freezer bags or containers to cook with at a later date.
Did you know? Traditional “white” pasta has gotten a bad rap lately but there are plenty of healthier alternatives out there, some with carbs and some without!
Suggestion: Substitute these meatballs in place of the sausage!