This healthy Mexican avocado salad recipe brings together chicken, avocado and Mexican spices for a delicious entree that makes a great lunch or supper!
Mexican Avocado Salad
Lime Dressing /Marinade:
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 14 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Place lime dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake to mix.
- Put 2 tbsp dressing in a sealable sandwich bag. Add chipotle, oregano and cumin. Shake bag to mix and add chicken. Marinade overnight.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 160͒, about 4 minutes on each side. Let rest for 5 minutes and slice.
- Add 1 tbsp cilantro to dressing and shake to mix.
- Place corn, avocado, tomato and onion in a bowl. Add remaining cilantro, half of remaining dressing and toss to coat.
- Place lettuce in a bowl and toss with remaining dressing. Top with salsa and sliced chicken.
- Hack: If you plan to eat this over several days, do not assemble salad until ready to eat. Put serving-size portions of salsa in sealable sandwich bags and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing. Put the bags in a covered container. The absence of air and light will keep the avocado from browning.
- Hack: To keep lettuce romaine lettuce fresh longer, separate leaves and wash. Dry in a salad spinner or with paper towels. Place lettuce leaves in a sealable plastic bag or container with paper towels between each layer to absorb moisture. Replace paper towels if they become soggy.
- Hack: Shop the salad bar if you just need a small amount of an item that you don’t think you’ll use again before it “goes over”.
Ever wonder how to tell if an avocado is ripe? How long will it be good after you buy it? Check out these tips to find out!
Suggestion: Garlic herb focaccia bread would pair nicely with this salad!