This super simple and easy peanut butter bread is a fresh take on a depression-era staple. It’s perfect for breakfast, snack time or anytime!
Easy Peanut Butter Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Coat a standard loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add peanut butter to the flour mixture. Use your hands to blend the components together to form a crumble texture.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg and sugar on high until pale.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and add applesauce and milk to the egg mixture. Stir in baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. The batter may be lumpy.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake until the internal temperature reaches 200℉ or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 60-70 minutes.)
- Let the cake rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes and then turn it out of the pan.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Hack: Do not use natural or organic peanut butter in the recipe. The emulsifiers contained in shelf-stable peanut butter are necessary for the success of this bread!
Did you know? While many worry about the fat and calorie content of peanut butter, studies show that its nutritional profile can be a valuable part of a healthy eating plan!
Suggestion: These old-fashioned peanut butter cookies are another classic recipe made from the classic staple!