Quick and easy creamed spinach is a classic side dish is easy to put together and is a wonderful accompaniment to a roast or steak. Use leftovers to make this delicious Easy Eggs Florentine!
Quick and Easy Creamed Spinach
- 16 oz frozen spinach, thawed with liquid squeezed out
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent (about 2-3 minutes), then add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Whisk in the flour and cook until thickened.
- Pour in the milk, whisking constantly until the white sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1/4 cup of milk to the sauce, whisking it through until reaching your desired thickness.
- Season the cream sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Add spinach to the cream sauce, stirring gently until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- Hack: Freeze leftovers in servings-sized portions for later use. Consider freezing a few ¼ cup servings for the recipe below.
- Hack: Use leftovers to make this delicious Easy Eggs Florentine!
Did you know? Spinach is one the most nutrient-dense plant-based foods you can eat!