Maine Needhams are a traditional candy made of coconut, powdered sugar and potato dipped in dark chocolate. They taste just like a Mounds Bar…I promise!
Maine Needhams (Maine Potato Candy)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz dark chocolate candy coating (or candy melts), coarsely chopped
- Combine the sugar, shredded coconut, mashed potatoes, vanilla, and salt using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Spray 18 ice cube trays** with cooking spray and divide the dough equally between them (about 1 ½ tbsp each). Place another ice cube tray on top of cups and press down firmly to pack dough down.
- Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until solid. Remove candy pieces from trays.
- Place chocolate coating in a dry, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second blasts, stirring in between each blast, just until melted.
- Use tongs to dip and coat candy pieces. Place pieces on parchment paper or rack, leaving enough space between them that they don’t touch. Allow chocolate coating to harden.
- **I use “poppable” ice cube trays with silicone bottoms!
- Hack: Store leftover candy in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Who would put potatoes in candy, anyway? Click here for a history of this delicious confection!
Need a stand mixer to make these tasty treats? Check out my review for the KitchenAid Artisan Series 5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer!
Please follow and like us: