This sweetly tart fresh whole cranberry sauce is vegan, vegetarian and super easy to make. It only takes a few minutes and can be made up to 3 days in advance!
Fresh Whole Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (12 oz)
- ½ tsp finely chopped or grated orange zest
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan stirring until sugar is melted.
- Add cranberries and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until cranberries pop and liquid just begins to thicken.
- Stir in zest, cover and cool.
- Hack: Fresh or frozen cranberries will work equally well in this recipe.
- Hack: Store sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze leftovers in a tightly covered freezer-safe containerfor up to 3 months.
- Hack: To easily zest a whole orange, use a vegetable peeler. Lay any leftover zest in a single layer and freeze. Store, tightly wrapped, in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Hack: Puree the orange in the blender for use in recipes such as cakes, cookies or bread. 1 orange yield about ¼ cup, which can be sealed in a bag and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Hack: Fresh cranberries are only between October and December, which is why they’re such a holiday favorite! Take advantage of that time window to buy a few extra bags for your freezer. Did you miss your chance? Check the freezer section of the supermarket where you're likely to find some in with the berry section.
Did you know? People call cranberries a superfood for good reason: They have all kinds of health-boosting benefits.