In my book, nothing says comfort food like a nice plate of spaghetti with these: the best Italian meatballs ever! I’ve skipped the pan browning to it simple.
Best Italian Meatballs
- ½ cup Italian style bread crumbs*
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 lb 85% ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Soak crumbs in milk for 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Shape meatball mixture into 24 balls (1 ½“ each).
- *For gluten-free meatballs, use old-fashioned rolled oats instead of bread crumbs.
- Cooking Method #1: Drop meatballs one at a time into the sauce, soup or other cooking liquid and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160͒. Do not stir for the first 10 minutes to allow meatballs to set. Stir gently and occasionally after that.
- Cooking Method #2: Bake uncovered in at 400͒ for 15-20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160͒.
- Hack: Place cooked or uncooked meatballs in a single layer on cookie sheet and place in freezer until solid. Seal in a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer for future use.
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Substitute meatballs for the sausage in this spaghetti sauce!