There are plenty of people who have strong opinions on pineapple in hot dishes (my children included) but I love it in these tangy sweet and sour meatballs!
Tangy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9 meatballs (thawed)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 each red, orange and green pepper, cut in 1” pieces
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained (8 oz)
- Mix water, vinegar, soy sauce brown sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pan. Add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Pour in pineapple sauce and simmer meatballs, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add peppers and pineapple. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the meatballs have an internal temperature of 165℉. Stir occasionally but gently so meatballs don’t break up.
- Add cornstarch mixture and heat until sauce thickens.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestion: Serve this over easy herbed Jasmine rice!