Spread this delicious fresh green onion pesto on your toast, roll it up in chicken, smother your salmon or toss it in pasta. How do you like your pesto?
Fresh Green Onion Pesto
- 2 cups scallion or green onions, coarsely sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp fresh chive
- 5 cloves garlic (5 tsp minced)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Hack: Pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days or frozen for 12 months. I recommend freezing in ice cube trays and then removing portions to a freezer-safe container so you can thaw just the amount you need.
- Hack: Pine nuts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 months or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Hack: Chop leftover green onions and freeze them in a sealable freezer bag or container for future use. While they won't retain the crispy texture of fresh green onions, they will be fine for use in cooking.
Did you know? Green onions are an excellent source of vitamin K! Check out some more healthy benefits here!
Suggestion: Use this pesto to make Chicken Pesto Naan Pizza!