Asparagus with caramelized onions and tomatoes may take some time but it’s definitely worth the wait! It’s low in calories and packs a huge nutritional punch!
Asparagus with Caramelized Onions and Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” lengths
- 1½ tsp balsamic reduction
- Place olive oil and butter in a heavy saute pan and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and beginning to caramelize, about 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from tomatoes has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until all liquid from asparagus has evaporated, 10-15 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the balsamic reduction. Stir to deglaze the pan.
- Serve immediately or store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Hack: To keep asparagus fresh, simply trim the bottoms and stand the spears up in a glass or jar with about an inch of water. Cover with a plastic bag then refrigerate them for up to 4 days. Change the water if it gets cloudy!
Did you know? Asparagus is a healthy addition to your diet with many nutrients and a good amount of fiber!
Suggestion: Pair this dish with garlic chicken for a delicious and complete meal!