This oven baked rice pilaf is a versatile side dish, easy to put together and can go right in the oven with a roast, meatloaf or other main entree.
Oven Baked Rice Pilaf
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs butter
- ½ cup onion, minced
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Heat butter and sesame oil in a pan. Add onion and carrot and saute for 3 minutes. Add rice and pine nuts. Continue to saute for 3-5 minutes until onions and carrots are softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, parsley, thyme and salt. Saute for one minute.
- Place rice mixture, chicken broth and bay leaf in a 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake for 18 minutes or until no liquid remains in the bottom of the dish.
- Allow to stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf and fluff rice before serving.
- Hack: Frozen or dehydrated onions and carrots can be used in this recipe/
- Hack: Place serving-size portioned leftovers into freezer bags. Roll to squeeze the air out of the freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and microwave or heat on the stove.
- Hack: Pine nuts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 months or in the freezer for 6 months.
Did you know? There are more than 40,000 varieties of rice! Check out some more fun facts here!