Spicy Spanish rice is a classic side dish that is loved by many (including me!). Adjust the spices to make this dish as hot (or not) as you want!
Spicy Spanish Rice
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ onion
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 cups rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1` tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and jalapeno pepper. Cook until softened slightly, 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice and toss to coat with butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is toasted, 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder, cayenne powder and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Stir in lemon juice, stock and tomato sauce. Cover, turn heat to high and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until all liquid is absorbed, 18-20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve.
- Hack: Frozen chopped onions and peppers can be used in this recipe.
- Hack: Dehydrated vegetables can be used in this recipe!
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze serving-sized portions for up to 3 months.
This spicy Spanish is a healthy and low-fat addition to your menu!
Suggestion: This rice dish would pair nicely with homemade chili beans or Cuban pulled chicken!
Please follow and like us: