Sausage and butternut squash skillet is a hearty one-skillet recipe that’s low in carbs and calories. It comes together quickly for an easy weekday dinner and is great paired with easy vegetable rice!
Sausage and Butternut Squash Skillet
- 8 oz Chinese sausage, casings removed
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary leaves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 tbsp)
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and over medium-high until browned, while breaking into large pieces (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add all remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and stir gently to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until squash is tender. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Hack: Freeze leftovers in portion-sized freezer containers for quick "grab and go" meals.
- Hack: Fresh peeled and cubed butternut squash can be purchased in the produce department of the grocery store. Frozen butternut squash can also be used (one 16 oz bag equals 4 cups).
- Hack: Uncooked winter squash can be stored in a cool, dark environment (less than 50℉) for up to 2 months so stock up when it’s on sale! Cook, mash and freeze unseasoned winter squash for up to 12 months as a quick and easy addition to many recipes.
Did you know? Winter quash provides numerous health benefits that may help reduce the risk of many diseases!