Spicy Spanish chorizo teams up with hearty lentils and the sweetness of orange to create a unique and tasty sausage lentil stew with oranges!
Sausage Lentil Stew with Oranges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz Spanish chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic (2 tsp)
- 2¼ cups brown lentils, washed and drained
- 1 cup dry red wine such as Pinot Noir
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 5 small oranges
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp dried dill
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn heat to high. Add lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft, 40 - 45 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to maintain a stew-like consistancy.
- Squeeze juice from two of the oranges and set aside. Remove peel and pith from the remaining oranges and slice fruit into ¼” rounds.
- Add chorizo to lentils and stir in orange juice. Season with salt, pepper and dill. Remove from heat and gently stir in orange rounds.
- Hack: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigeragtor for up to 5 days or frozen in serving-sized sealable freezer bags or containers for up to 3 months.
Did you know? Lentils are a member of the legume family. Legumes come in many options, are inexpensive and packed with nutrition!!
Suggestion: Garlic herb focaccia bread goes nicely with this recipe!