Yuhong’s Country Kitchen is here to show you how to make Chinese braised beef with potatoes in the comfort of your own home! Put away the takeout menu!
Braised Beef with Potatoes
- 2 potatoes
- 1 lb flank steak
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 4 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 4 dried red chili peppers (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch knob ginger root (½ oz, ¼ cup), cut into thin slices
- 5 cloves garlic (5 tsp), thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, cut into 1” lengths
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut potatoes into 1” cubes. Cover potatoes in water and set aside.
- Cut beef into 1” cubes. Place in a large pot and cover with 3 cups cold water. Add cooking wine. Cover pan and turn heat to high.
- When the water comes to a boil, drain beef into a heat-resistant colander and rinse under cold water.
- Add oil to a saute pan or wok. Put in chili peppers and bay leaves. Turn heat up to medium-high.
- When oil is hot, add ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add beef, soy sauce and sugar.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add sliced onion and 3 cups water. Add more water if necessary to cover all ingredients in the pan.
- Cover pan, turn heat to medium and simmer for one hour. Remove by leaves and chili peppers. Add salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months
- Hack: Do you know that you can freeze fresh ginger root? Grating it in its frozen state is easier than grating it fresh and, if you choose organic ginger, you don’t have to peel it! Simply place it in a sealed freezer bag or container and pop it in the freezer.
- Hack: Chop leftover green onions and freeze in a sealable freezer bag or container for future use.
For more instructional videos for making traditional Chinese cuisine, visit Yuhong’s Country Kitchen on YouTube!
Did you know? Beef has gotten a bad rap due to its high fat and cholesterol content but the health benefits make it a healthy addition to a balanced diet!
Suggestions: Pair this with Chinese broccoli stir fry for a complete and nutritious meal!