Fish flavored pork is a classic Chinese dish that is not actually flavored with fish but uses a sauce that is traditionally used as a garnish for fish dishes.
Fish Flavored Pork
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 3 large mushrooms
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3" knob ginger (.7 ounce or 20 grams)
- 8 green onions
- ½ lb lean, boneless pork
- 2 tbsp red wine, divided
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, divided
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp jarred crushed red peppers
- Salt to taste
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- Slice onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms into ½” slices. Thinly slice garlic cloves and ginger.
- Thinly slice pork and mix with 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp red wine, a pinch of salt, pepper and egg white. Massage pork for 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp cornstarch and mix well. Set aside.
- Mix 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp red wine, 1 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp vinegar, a pinch of salt, 1 tbsp cornstarch and 3 tbsp water together in a small bowl for cooking sauce.
- Heat oil in the wok or heavy skillet. When hot, add ginger, garlic and crushed pepper. Saute for one minute. Add pork and saute until cooked through. Remove the pork mixture from the pan, reserving oil.
- Add peppers and mushrooms to the pan. Saute for 2 minutes and add a pinch of salt. Add pork, cooking sauce and green onions and bring back to a simmer.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze in serving-sized containers for up to 3 months.
- Hack: Check the produce department of your local grocery store for loose mushrooms to avoid having to buy an entire package. If you don’t see them, ask a clerk if they are available.
- Hack: Do you know that you can freeze fresh ginger root? If you choose organic ginger, you don’t have to peel it but you will have to thaw it before slicing.
- Hack: Chop any leftover green onions and freeze in a sealable freezer bag or container for future use.
For more instructional videos for making traditional Chinese cuisine, visit Yuhong’s Country Kitchen on YouTube!
Suggestion: Serve with pork fried rice, if desired.
Please follow and like us: