This colorful dish, Chinese Twice Cooked Pork Belly, is common in Southwest China and involves two distinct cooking methods: simmering followed by stir-frying with vegetables.
Chinese Twice Cooked Pork Belly (huí guō ròu)
- 1½ lbs pork belly without skin
- 1” knob ginger, chopped
- 2 green onions
- A few peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek, trimmed (white part only)
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 fresh chili peppers
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sweet bean sauce
- 1 tbsp jarred crushed pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Put the pork belly in a pan and cover with cold water. Add ginger. Cut the white ends from the green onions and add those as well, followed by the cooking wine and peppercorns.
- Bring the water to a boil for 20 minutes. Immediately transfer pork to cold water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Cut green onions, leek, carrot and pepper into 1” slices. Slice garlic and chili peppers.
- Thinly slice pork belly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy skillet or wok. Add pork belly and cook until all the fat has been rendered. Add bean sauce, crushed pepper, sugar and soy sauce. Cook and stir until well incorporated.
- Put carrots in the pan and saute them for a minute or two. Add leek, garlic and bell pepper and chili peppers. Saute until the vegetables are cooked to your preference, adding green onions in the last few minutes.
- Serve with rice or noodles, if desired.
- Hack: You can replace the carrot and pepper with whatever vegetables you prefer or have on hand.
- Hack: You can substitute sweet bean paste or hoisin sauce for the sweet bean sauce.
- Hack: Leftovers can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen in serving-sized portions for up to 3 months
- Hack: Check the produce department for loose, single carrots. If you don’t see them, ask a clerk if they’re available.
For more instructional videos for making traditional Chinese cuisine at home, visit Yuhong’s Country Kitchen on YouTube! Don’t forget to like, subscribe and press that notification button so you won’t miss any new videos!