Creamed pearl onions and peas is a classic dish that many of us remember from the holiday dinner table. But why wait when you can have it anytime?
Creamed Pearl Onions and Peas
- ½ cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Simmer pearl onions in water for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add peas and saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined with butter.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, and simmer until sauce has thickened (1-2 minutes).
- Add Parmesan, if desired. Serve hot.
- Hack: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Did you know? Peas are a member of the legume family and bring you a host of nutritional benefits. Pearl onions are also rich in vitamins and minerals! Who knew?
Suggestion: This dish would taste great paired with another classic favorite: Meatloaf!