These quick and easy pickled red onions require only 3 basic pantry ingredients to create an incredibly versatile condiment! Try it on burgers or sandwiches!
Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Place onions in a ceramic or glass container with a tightly fitting cover.
- Place sugar, vinegar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour hot liquid over the onions, making sure the onions are completely submerged. Cover and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate onions for 24 hours before serving.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 30 days.
- Hack: Do not use metal or plastic containers to store onions.
- Hack: These onions are great on tacos, burgers, sandwiches, salads, beans or anything else you want to flavor up!
- Hack: This vinegar, sugar and salt combo can be used to pickle any vegetable. Try it with cucumbers, cooked beets, radishes or anything else you have on hand. Better yet, experiment with some combinations!
Did you know? Onions are nutrient-dense and provide many health benefits!
Suggestion: These onions are a great topper for red bean casserole!